Darkness in Faerun
The lands outside Mosstone have not been what I expected. The perception I had before leaving was of a needy, desperate world, in which good people turned to Evil as a ways of survival. I imagined that if given the chance, only the most twisted, vile soul would turn away redemtion. The truth is, however, much darker. Many people and cultures embrace, no, revel in Evil. People commit darkness for it's own sake, and react to attempts to help them with offense and anger.
Try as I might, I cannot understand the attitudes I have encountered. People seem to have given up the battle against wickedness. Evil organizations have been accepted into positions of power over the less powerful, and even supported by them.
In the time following my departure from home, I have been to many towns. I have seen horribly depraved people enjoying the love and admiration of the virtuous. My experiences have at times led me to question the power Good untimatley has in this world, but I cannot afford to pay these thoughts any heed. I must trust in Ilmater, knowing that He has a plan for all that we see.
Through all of this, though, there have been reminders of goodness. My new companions, for a start. Moving to Purskul, I established myself as a caravan guard. A half-elf bartender named Celion pointed me toward a specific group, in whom he saw great potential. Over time members have come and gone, leaving either in search of a new vocation, others perishing; some nobly, some tragically through the workings of a trap or at the claws of beasts. Those of us that remain, however, have formed a close bond, and I would die to protect any one of them.
Milo Quickfist- A thief-turned-monk with connections and a caring demeanor. I have seen him risk his life to protect others many a time.
Stolig Blinth- A gnomish cleric of Gond. A master of machines, and a compulsive tinker, he has used his healing magic to great effect.
Adrian Strife- Thsi strange fellow saved my life in Athluka. He is still somewhat mysterious to me, but I look forward to learning more about him.
Xelritch Faeonil- A swift-footed elf from Eshpurta, whose keen eyes detect surprises as readily as they aim his bow.
Thorik Ironhead- This axe seems to have a Dwarf attached to it's hilt. All joking aside, however, Thorik is very useful to have around when negotiations take a wrong turn.
Elors Elward- There is much to say about Elros. This young man seems to have an unimaginable amount of rage toward the world, perhaps stemming from the powerful magic flowing through his veins. He is volatile, rude, abrasive, impulsive, and impious. And yet, there is something about him. He and I have little in common, but I feel the need to prove myself to him. Perhaps he and I could learn from each other.
These people are the best thing that has happened to me since leaving home. In them, I have found a resting place from the rigors of service, and a source of boundless joy. Every deed I have done I owe to them (and Ilmater, of course), for they have given me strength when I need it most.
The lands outside Mosstone have not been what I expected. The perception I had before leaving was of a needy, desperate world, in which good people turned to Evil as a ways of survival. I imagined that if given the chance, only the most twisted, vile soul would turn away redemtion. The truth is, however, much darker. Many people and cultures embrace, no, revel in Evil. People commit darkness for it's own sake, and react to attempts to help them with offense and anger.
Try as I might, I cannot understand the attitudes I have encountered. People seem to have given up the battle against wickedness. Evil organizations have been accepted into positions of power over the less powerful, and even supported by them.
In the time following my departure from home, I have been to many towns. I have seen horribly depraved people enjoying the love and admiration of the virtuous. My experiences have at times led me to question the power Good untimatley has in this world, but I cannot afford to pay these thoughts any heed. I must trust in Ilmater, knowing that He has a plan for all that we see.
Through all of this, though, there have been reminders of goodness. My new companions, for a start. Moving to Purskul, I established myself as a caravan guard. A half-elf bartender named Celion pointed me toward a specific group, in whom he saw great potential. Over time members have come and gone, leaving either in search of a new vocation, others perishing; some nobly, some tragically through the workings of a trap or at the claws of beasts. Those of us that remain, however, have formed a close bond, and I would die to protect any one of them.
Milo Quickfist- A thief-turned-monk with connections and a caring demeanor. I have seen him risk his life to protect others many a time.
Stolig Blinth- A gnomish cleric of Gond. A master of machines, and a compulsive tinker, he has used his healing magic to great effect.
Adrian Strife- Thsi strange fellow saved my life in Athluka. He is still somewhat mysterious to me, but I look forward to learning more about him.
Xelritch Faeonil- A swift-footed elf from Eshpurta, whose keen eyes detect surprises as readily as they aim his bow.
Thorik Ironhead- This axe seems to have a Dwarf attached to it's hilt. All joking aside, however, Thorik is very useful to have around when negotiations take a wrong turn.
Elors Elward- There is much to say about Elros. This young man seems to have an unimaginable amount of rage toward the world, perhaps stemming from the powerful magic flowing through his veins. He is volatile, rude, abrasive, impulsive, and impious. And yet, there is something about him. He and I have little in common, but I feel the need to prove myself to him. Perhaps he and I could learn from each other.
These people are the best thing that has happened to me since leaving home. In them, I have found a resting place from the rigors of service, and a source of boundless joy. Every deed I have done I owe to them (and Ilmater, of course), for they have given me strength when I need it most.


1 Comments:
A compelling and thought-provoking view of Amn through the eyes of a man some might consider an idealist.
Hold your head high and old tight to your faith in the Broken One, young believer- although Amn as a whole is troubled, many of her people are still pure of heart and a handfull of brave, honest men can still change the course of history, if they remain vigilant and true.
Pavel believes.
Post a Comment
<< Home